Published May 24, 2023
At Flip, we take pride in helping you empower more inclusive, empowering and expressive classrooms, where students feel valued and confident they belong. This acceptance and safety amongst their peers is foundational to their ability to engage and share their unique perspective throughout the learning process.
This June, in celebration of Pride, we’ve put together a list of simple ways you can encourage your students to express themselves, explore their identity, and grow together on Flip.
1. Flip Camera features can spark great discussions about identity
The Flip camera includes a series of effects that students can use in their video responses to foster their confidence and express themselves. Simply ask them to explore the effects and create a video that shows the most important parts of who they are and what makes them unique, for example:
- Pronoun, ally, and pride flags in the sticker library help students share with others how they identify and want to be referred to.
- Our large collection of lenses can give students a chance to choose one that celebrates their authentic self.
- Using the Flip camera, students can add stickers powered by Bing to reference Pride celebrations from around the world, highlight LGBTQ+ heroes like Marsha P. Johnson, Harvey Milk, James Baldwin or link to historic moments like Stonewall.
2. Use Discovery Library for ready-made topics from thought leaders
As an educator, you can search and use ready-to-launch topics from Discovery Library to spark conversation with your community. Here are a few that may be helpful to promote discussions around identity:
- PRIDE collection
- Hope in a Box
- The Outwords Archive
- EdPuzzle: Pride Month Topic
- Cleveland Museum of Art: Portrayals of Love
- ADL Education: Stonewall Topic
- Genially: Make your classroom LGBTQ friendly topic
- Genially: History of Pride flag
3. Stream enriching conversations on-demand from our Flip Event library
- Hope in a Box
- Engagement Team Panel
- Outwords: Flip Live Event: History Repeats: A Pride Month Conversation with OUTWORDS - YouTube
- Flip Live Event: Championing Intersex Rights and Visibility
- Alex Gino, Reading with Pride: Flip Live Event: Read with Pride with Melissa Author Alex Gino - YouTube
And for more great ideas, check out the great work from our colleagues across Microsoft as well!